RECOGNIZING THE CHARACTER OR ATTRIBUTES OF GOD
First, I want to say that
this is just a few of God’s attributes that define His character;
I’m sure there are more. Some of these characteristics/attributes
belong to God alone and are not shared with mankind.
As I began to write out
the characteristics of God, my list kept growing longer and longer.
This list is by no means complete because God is SO big and our
minds are limited in our understanding of Him. Still, He wants us to
know Him, spend time with Him, honor and praise Him. The more you
read and learn about Him, the more you will want to know about Him.
The book of Isaiah, some of the Psalms, and the book of Job are
places for you to explore and read about who God is. And yet, Job
says in chapter 26:14 “And these are but the outer fringe of His
works; how faint the whisper of Him.”
If you were to read the entire Bible, you would see God, His
characteristics and His great love for us throughout the Scriptures.
Read the Word of God and be awed and inspired by Him.
1) Simplicity --- meaning God is not a composite or compounded
being. John 4:24
2) Unity---meaning God is One or indivisible.…Deuteronomy 6:4
3) Eternity---meaning that He has no beginning or ending. Ps 90:2;
Is 43:13; or Deut 33:27; Genesis 21:33; Isaiah 46:8-10.
4) Immutability---God is unchangeable. James 1:17; Mal 3:6.
5) Infinity---God has no bounds or limits. 1 Kings 8:27; Ps 147:5 or
6) Omnipresence---meaning that God is everywhere present with His
whole being at all times, but not in everything. Psalm 139:7-12.
7) Sovereignty---Meaning that HE is the supreme ruler. Ps 103:19;
8) Omniscience---meaning that God knows all things actual and
possible. Matthew 11:21.
9) Omnipotence---meaning that God is all-powerful. Revelation 19:6.
10) Justice---meaning that God is morally fair because of His
righteousness. Acts 17:31
11) Love---meaning that God seeks the highest good in displaying His
Own will. I John 4:8 or 1 John 4:16; Ephesians 2:4-5.
12) Truth---meaning that God is in agreement to and consistent with
all that is represented by God Himself. John 14:6
13) Freedom---meaning that God is independent of His creatures and
creation. Isaiah 40:13-14.
14) Holiness---meaning that God is separate from all that is common
or unclean. 1 John 1:5
15) Mercy---meaning that God is
compassionate and kind. He has pity on His children. Psalm 103:8
16) Grace---meaning God's unmerited favor. Romans 3:24.
17) Righteousness---meaning that God is upright and holy. Ps 11:7 or
Dan 9:7 and Isaiah 45:19b
If you'd like to have a printed copy of
this as my gift to you:
here to print a Microsoft Word Document copy
Click here to print a PDF
(Adobe Acrobat Reader) Document copy
To the Top